10 January 2015

Kat Von D studded kiss mini lipstick set.





This brand is a Sephora exclusive and only typically available in the US bar a few exceptions. The Studded Kiss mini set retails for $39 ( roughly £26 ) for 9 miniature 0.04oz/1.1gram lipsticks of their most popular shades. Sadly it was limited edition (Christmas?) set and it’s no longer available on www.sephora.com but you can still purchase the set, or individual mini’s on eBay but at a stupidly inflated price L .


The packaging for these mini lipsticks are the same as the full sized version and let’s be honest it’s awesome. Nothing screams ‘ Hugs, Sex and Rock’n’Roll ” louder than shiny black studs covering the tube from head to toe. In all honesty it really does feel like you’re holding something special every time you pick up a tube, they've just got this empowering presence about them. Finally on the bottom there’s the usual little sticker telling you what the name is and an impression of what colour you can expect to find inside.

The Scent of the lipsticks is really light and mildly fruity but it’s nothing too overpowering and they don’t effect the taste of your food while eating. I do find that most of these lipsticks don’t last up to the ’10 hours wear’ as claimed but generally they last between 4-5 hours before needing a top up.


Countess
Countess is a bold orange based red with a matte finish. The Application is fairly smooth with no patching or bleeding, it does drag very slightly but nothing a dab of lip balm before application can’t fix. The texture is silky and slightly moist, although I don’t find the lipstick itself to be moisturising. Countess did last a good 4 hours and lunch before needing a top up. As for dupes the first thing I noted was how similar this shade is to Lime Crime’s Suedeberry although it does lack the velveteen’s ultra-matte quality.



Agatha
Agatha is a pale peach nude (although I find on my skin tone it looks pink) with a matte finish. The lipstick itself seems very dry, when applying it did drag and took a lot of work to get an even colour on my lips. However when you do achieve your desired colour this shade does last at least 6 hours before fading into your natural lip tone. I personally don’t own any shade similar to this as they aren’t quite my thing, but I’ve swatched it next to MAC Velvet Teddy, MAC Kinda Sexy and MAC Sweet and sour with I think is the most similar.

                    
Adora
Adora is a warm red with a deep red shimmer in a matte finish. Adora is soft and easy to apply as its really creamy so it glides easily across the lips and remains moist all day. I found I had to apply 2 layers to get the best colour pay off, but when the lipstick is on it stays on! This lipstick lasted the 10 hours perfectly. With this colour I found the scent to be slightly minty compared to the others and it did make my lips tingle like a lip balm. So far I’ve yet to find a colour I own similar to this, it really is something special.


Sexer
Sexer is a bright, bold fuchsia with a slight pink shimmer and a matte finish. It’s super creamy so it glides across your lips like a dream, colour payoff is great but ideally you will need to apply 2 swipes of this to really get the explosive colour! I have found because of the creaminess of this lipstick it lasts the shortest time compared to the others, it transfers with ease so top up’s are needed BUT this is by far my favourite colour. I’ve swatched it next to MAC Fuchsia pink, MAC All fired up, MAC Fusion pink, Lime Crime Centrufuschia and Illamasqua Immodest.


Wonderchilde
Wonderchilde is an iridescent neon violet in a shimmer finish, although I personally think it’s more of a pink with violet shimmer. This shade is super creamy and feels very moisturising on the lips, which is great because you have to really layer up to build a bright colour. Sadly this colour doesn’t last long at all, only a few hours (although it did stain my lips bright pink!!) and I think this is because it’s so creamy it will transfer onto most things throughout the day. Here its swatched with Dior Mystic Mauve, an unnamed shade from Pop Rox Cosmetics, Lime Crime’s Poisonberry, My beauty Addiction Heliotrope.


Bachelorette
Bachelorette is a pink based red with a matte finish. It doesn’t drag across your lips when applying and its super pigmented so you only need one layer of colour. I found this to feel kind of heavy on my lips like the colour applies thickly but the texture was not drying. This shade lasted a good 8 hours before needing a top up, and it tends to fade in the centre of your lips first. I’ve swatched this next to MAC Ruby Woo, MAC Relentlessly Red, MAC Full Fuchsia and Mac All Fired Up.


Motorhead
Motorhead is a blackened cherry red with a matte finish. In all honesty I had trouble with this shade, it’s extremely dry which makes it really tug at your lips while applying. The dryness also makes the colour really patchy ( as you can see from the photos) but after I did reapply this shade on top of a coconut oil lip balm and it improved the application and colour so much. Once you do have the shade on it does last for at least 8 hours, although it does look patchy from the get go. Here I have it swatched next to MAC Rebel, MAC Fashion Revival, MAC Living Legend and Illamasqua Shard.


Lovecraft
Lovecraft is a mauve pink nude in a matte finish. This shade is my favourite of the whole collection (I loved it that much I bought the full size) It’s soft on the lips when applying and the colour really melts into your lips and adapts to your natural lip colour. The colour is non-patchy and non-drying and feels light on the lips. It’s the perfect everyday colour that’s lasts 6 hours before fading. Here I have it swatched next to MAC Brave and MAC Captive.


Hexagram
Hexagram is a purely perfect matte blood red. This beautiful colour is surprisingly soft and silkiy to apply, it doesn’t drag on the lips and the colour is even with just one swipe and it really melts into the lips. It also feels really light on the lips, you can almost forget your wearing anything at all! Hexagram lasted an amazing 7 hours before fading away into my natural lip colour. I have swatched this next to MAC Russian Red and MAC Ruby Woo.


Overall I think this set is a great way to introduce yourself to the brand if you’ve never tried it before. Some of the shades weren’t quite as I expected them to be, the dryness mainly letting them down, while other shades like Agatha were a dark horse and I end up truly loving them best! I think the 3 best shades from this set are Agatha, Lovecraft and Sexer, which I find weird as I usually avoid these colours, but hey I guess it proves how useful this set when it comes to choosing colours!
Although some shades were a bit ‘meh’ I still truly adore this brand and I hope to get my hands on a few more full sized shades like Thin Lizzy and prayer in the future as well as her Everlasting Liquid Love lip stains ( They are the Shizz).

Do you guys own any Kat von D lipsticks? What do you think of them or what would you recommend I try next?

Love Piggy X



No comments:

Post a Comment